Introducing our new Program Coordinator- Nolan Hurst!
Our newest staff member to join the full-time team at Camp Ondessonk is Nolan Hurst. Nolan grew up outside of Philadelphia Pennsylvania, spending many weekends camping with his family and friends. He attended Ithaca College where he earned a Bachelors in Science in Outdoor Adventure Leadership with a minor in Religious Studies. While living in Ithaca Nolan assisted with the programs for Primitive Pursuits, which focuses on primitive outdoor living skills. For five summers Nolan worked at Musser Scout Reservation in a variety of roles ranging from outdoor skills director to program director. In the last year he worked both Spring and Fall seasonal program staff at Camp Ondessonk before making the leap to full-time. When not focusing on camp, Nolan enjoys rock climbing and exploring the forest. He also can be found drinking a good cup of coffee with a crossword puzzle or a book somewhere outside.
He answered some burning questions for us:
What is your favorite area in camp?
- I enjoy teaching outdoors living skills and that has been a big part of who I am, so I’d have to say woodsmanship.
What is your favorite animal?
- I love foxes I can’t explain it really but I’ve always been attracted to them and find them fascinating to watch.
You’ve had many adventures, but do you have a favorite trip you’ve taken?
- I have had many adventures but I would have to say my favorite was my 90 day Outdoor Instructor Immersion Semester in college, when Ithaca College partnered with the Northwest Outward Bound. I spent the entire semester learning and going on trips that included rock climbing, backpacking, mountaineering, and white water rafting in Oregon and California.
Favorite thing to do in the morning?
- This may be odd but I love starting my mornings off with a crossword puzzle before I do anything else.
If you could have any superpower what would it be?
- I would love to be able to shape shift, I think you could then do about anything. Also I would make my superhero name The Shifter.
Favorite sports to play?
- I use to play both tennis and pole vault when I was growing up. Now days I still love to play tennis because it’s something I can keep doing. I am also getting into running which is enjoyable.
Thanks, Nolan! Please say hi when you see him around camp!