Helping Campers Prepare for Summer Camp
Helping Campers Prepare for Summer Camp- By Olivia Hammond- Program Coordinator
Many of our Campers have registered for Summer Camp and are counting down the days until they arrive. Whether you are a first timer or a veteran camper there are many things that you can do to prepare yourself for Summer Camp. Here are a few tips:
- Please read the Parent/Camper Handbook. Parents, take time to read through the whole Parent/Camper Handbook with your future campers. The handbook is a great resource with many tools including how to minimize homesickness, what to pack, and descriptions of many different camper activities.
- Practice sleeping over at a friend’s house. Campers, if you are worried about leaving home, try sleeping over at friend or family member’s house. This will help you adjust to sleeping away from home.
- Discuss ways to communicate while at camp. Parents are able to send letters or Bunk1 emails to campers and mail is distributed to campers every day but Sunday. Campers are encouraged to write home as well. Postcards and stamps can be purchased at the Trading Post!
- Involve your child in the packing process. When packing for Camp, it is important that parents help their child be prepared for summer camp. When packing, keep in mind that it will be hot, it might rain, and kids can always use extra socks! A packing list is provided in the Parent/Camper Handbook.
- Attend our Open House. Parents & Campers, we are hosting a New Camper Open House on Saturday, May 7th from 1-4 pm. Families will have a chance to meet leadership staff, take a tour of Ondessonk and meet the horses. On Saturday, June 4th we will be hosting the Annual Summer Camp Open House & Homecoming from 11am-4pm where families will have the chance to meet the entire summer camp staff, take a tour of Ondessonk, and participate in many of our summer camp activities including archery and the climbing wall!
- Check out our website First Time Campers section and YouTube channel. Parents & Campers, we have many resources on our website to help you familiarize yourself with Camp Ondessonk. Our YouTube channel has tons of videos from summer camp!