Food for Families Program
The Belleville Diocese Food for Families Program will again be held during the Lenten season.
The results of past Food for Families collections have been very positive. Our joint efforts are particularly important again this year as the requests for assistance continue to increase due to the lingering effects of COVID. Once more the cooperation and support of all of us in providing both financial and food donations is the key to the success of our program.
I invite all clergy, religious, people of our parishes and institutions, students of our elementary and secondary schools, youth and students of our PSR and diocesan youth programs, and all fraternal and charitable organizations in our diocese to wholeheartedly support this much-needed cause. I also encourage you to invite other religious, fraternal, and civic organizations in your communities to join us in this most worthwhile program.
As you know, all food items and money collected are distributed within the 28 counties of southern Illinois which comprise our Belleville Diocese and people of all faiths continue to benefit from Food for Families. Perhaps you might ask the religion editor of your local newspaper and other media in your area to advertise this ecumenical Food for Families Program as they are able.
Enclosed is a list of sites around the diocese to which food items can be delivered as well as a listing of recommended foods. Please reprint in your parish bulletin the food item list as well as the sites where these items may be delivered. All other institutions and organizations are asked to use similar means to distribute this information to their people. For our parishes, I leave it to your discretion if you wish to take up a special collection during Lent to support this program.
To assist you in your planning to collect the food and cash donations, I would like to offer the following information:
-If you cannot personally deliver the collected food items, call or write Daystar Community Program or Catholic Urban Programs (phone numbers and addresses are listed on the attached sheet).
-If your parish has an operating food program or a St. Vincent de Paul Conference, you may keep 50% of any monies collected. The remaining 50% should be forwarded to the Chancery as soon as possible after Easter Sunday.
-If your parish does not have an operating food program, you may keep 25% of monies collected to distribute to the needy. The remaining 75% should be forwarded to the Chancery.
Please make checks payable to “Catholic Diocese of Belleville”, indicating “Food for Families” in the lower, left-hand corner of the check and send to:
Food for Families Program
Catholic Diocese of Belleville
222 South Third Street
Belleville, Illinois 62220-1985
Please accept my deepest thanks for your cooperation and support of this most needed and worthy Lenten program again this year.
Food for Families Delivery Sites
Office of Education Holy Childhood of Jesus Church
Catholic Pastoral Center 104 North Independence Street
2620 Lebanon Avenue-Bldg. 6 Mascoutah, Illinois 62258
Belleville, Illinois 62221 566-2958
235-9601, Ext. 1142
Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. St. Francis Xavier Church
Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12 Noon 303 South Poplar Street
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
Chancery Office 457-4556
222 South Third Street
Belleville, Illinois 62220 St. Boniface Church
277-8181, Ext. 1021 402 Munster Street
Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Germantown, Illinois 62245
Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12 Noon 523-4271
St. Joseph Rectory Catholic Urban Programs
506 West Main Street #7 Vieux Carre Drive
Benton, Illinois 62812 East St. Louis, Illinois 62203
St. Mary the Immaculate Conception Our Lady of Lourdes Church
1550 Main Street 611 West Broadway
Mount Vernon, Illinois 62864 Sparta, Illinois 62286
St. Teresa of the Child Jesus St. Joseph Church
1201 Lebanon Avenue 901 North Alton
Belleville, Illinois 62221 Lebanon, Illinois 62254
Cathedral of St. Peter Daystar Community Program
c/o St. Vincent de Paul Society 909 Washington Avenue
200 West Harrison Street Cairo, Illinois 62914
Belleville, Illinois 62220 734-0178
Food for Families — Suggested Canned and Other Food Items Needed
Canned Meats/Fish Dry Package Items
Canned Meats Instant Mashed Potatoes
Canned Chicken Pancake Mix (complete)
Canned Beef Stews Bisquick/Baking Mix
Canned Ravioli; Spaghetti/Meatballs Breakfast Cereals
Canned Chicken and Dumplings Cornbread Mix
Canned Soups and Chili Dried Beans (Navy, Pinto, etc.)
Canned Tuna, Salmon and Sardines Rice
Canned Fruits and Vegetables Macaroni
Canned Fruit and Applesauce Noodles/Pasta of any type
Canned Peas Spaghetti
Canned Corn Macaroni and Cheese
Canned Mixed Vegetables Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat
Canned Tomatoes Graham Crackers
Canned Green Beans Saltine Crackers
Canned Beets Milk (powdered or canned)
Canned Carrots Staples
Canned Pork and Beans Sugar
Canned Whole White Potatoes Flour
Canned Sweet Potatoes Coffee (ground and instant)