Lighting Camp Ondessonk with LEDs
For the last several months, Camp’s Maintenance Crew has been changing out T-8 and T-12 fluorescent tubes around Camp and replacing them with LED (Light Emitting Diode) tubes. More than 700 tubes will be replaced at a saving to Camp of more than $3,000 annually. We were able to purchase these LED tubes for a discount – $3.25 each, which normally costs anywhere from $5 to $7 per tube retail.
The LED conversion covers all areas of Camp including St. Noel, the Dining Hall, the Barn, Central, and all residences.
Here are some of the benefits of using LED lighting…
- Long-life – LEDs last approximately 50,000 hours; more than three times longer than the 15,000 hours of the average lifespan of T8 fluorescent lights
- Ballasts are not needed with LED direct wire lighting, resulting in additional savings
- High brightness and intensity
- Low radiated heat
- Free of harsh chemicals
- Produces virtually zero UV emissions
- Recyclable and reduces carbon footprint
All ballasts and used fluorescent tubes will be disposed of at a facility licensed to manage such waste. About $1,000 will be spent on proper disposal of the used materials.
These LED replacement lights along with the disposal of the used fluorescent tubes, were made possible by Campfire Circle Member donations. To learn more about becoming a monthly Campfire Circle Member click here.